There’s no better way to get started with embroidery than with a kit designed specifically for beginners! At Itchy Stitchy, we have a wide selection of beginner embroidery kits that come with everything you need to get started, including patterns, instructions, and all the necessary supplies.
Our beginner kits are perfect for those who are just learning how to embroider, or for those who want to brush up on their skills. They’re also a great way to try out different embroidery stitches and techniques. And once you’ve completed your kit, you’ll have a beautiful piece of embroidery to show for it!
If you’re ready to get started with embroidery, browse our selection of beginner kits and find the perfect one for you. Or get stuck into your creations quickly with our handy Beginner’s Bundle!
How To Work With Embroidery For Beginners
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced embroiderer, it’s always important to know how to work with embroidery thread. After all, the type of thread you use can make a big difference in the overall look of your finished project.
Here are some tips on how to choose and use embroidery thread:
- Choose the right type of thread for your project. If you’re not sure what type of thread to use, ask us! DMC and Itchy Stitchy 6 stranded cotton is the most popular choice as you can make thick or thin stitches depending on how many strands you use. There is also many colours to choose from.
- Use a good quality needle. A sharp needle is essential for making clean stitches.
- Be aware of the tension of your stitches. Too much tension can cause your stitches to pucker, while too little tension can cause them to look sloppy. We recommend using Elovell embroidery hoops, as they have a unique groove for a super tight grip! They will keep your fabric taut and keep your stitches neat.
- Follow the pattern carefully. Take your time and don’t try to rush the process.
With these tips in mind, you’re well on your way to creating beautiful embroidery projects!
Embroidery Supplies and Tools You’ll Need As A Beginner
If you’re just getting started in the world of embroidery, you may be wondering what supplies and tools you’ll need to get started. Luckily, the list isn’t too long or complicated! Here’s a basic rundown of everything you’ll need to start stitching:
- Embroidery floss (DMC / Itchy Stitchy): This is the type of thread that’s typically used for embroidery. It’s composed of six strands, which can be divided and used separately or kept together for a thicker stitch.
- Embroidery hoop: This is a frame that’s used to stretch the fabric taut while you’re working on your project.
- Fabric: Any type of fabric can be used for embroidery, but some are better suited than others. Cotton is a popular cloth because it is smooth and affordable.
- Needles: You’ll need sharp needles that are specifically designed for embroidery. Make sure to get the right size needle for the fabric you’re using.
- Find our beginner’s bundle here!
Now that you have all the supplies you need, it’s time to get started! Follow these steps to start your first embroidery project:
- Choose a design: There are endless design options available, so take some time to browse and find something you like. If you’re a beginner, it’s best to start with a simple design or kit with detailed instructions.
- Trace the design: Once you’ve chosen your design, trace it onto your fabric using a water-soluble or heat erasable marker. This will help you see the design more easily when you’re ready to start stitching.
- Hoop the fabric: Place your fabric in an embroidery hoop, making sure it’s tight enough that it won’t shift while you’re stitching.
- Start stitching: There are soo many different stitches to learn. Youtube has plenty of free tutorials, and the best place to start learning each technique.
- Finish up: Once you’re finished stitching, cut away the excess thread and remove the fabric from the hoop. If you used a water-soluble marker to trace your design, be sure to wash it away with water before displaying or framing your work.
Now that you know the basics of embroidery, why not give it a try? Itchy Stitchy offers a great selection of embroidery kits for beginners that come with everything you need to get started. So grab a kit and start stitching today!
Shop Our Embroidery Designer Kits Today
At Itchy Stitchy, we carry a wide variety of embroidery kits perfect for both beginners and experienced stitchers. Shop our selection today and find the perfect kit for your next project!
Frequently Asked Questions
The best type of fabric to use for embroidery is a light-weight cotton fabric. Thin fabrics like cotton muslin are a good choice for beginners. Avoid using thick fabrics like denim or canvas, as they can be difficult to work with.
You will need to use a special embroidery needle, which is slightly longer and thicker than a regular sewing needle. Make sure to use the correct size of needle for your fabric – a too-large needle can cause holes in your fabric, while a too-small needle will make it difficult to stitch through the fabric.
You can use any type of thread for embroidery, but cotton threads are the most popular choice. Avoid using synthetic fibres like polyester, as they can be difficult to work with.
There are a few different ways to do this. You can use transfer paper, which you can find at most craft stores. Or, you can trace your pattern onto the fabric with a water-soluble pen – just make sure to wash the fabric after you’re done tracing, to remove the pen marks.
Practice makes perfect! The more you stitch, the better you’ll get at keeping your stitches even. If you’re really struggling, there are some helpful videos on YouTube that can show you how to keep your stitches even.