Cross stitch is a great way to get into needlework and embroidery. It’s relatively simple and easy to learn.
If you’re interested in trying cross stitch, Itchy Stitchy has a great selection of cross stitch kits for beginners. These kits come with everything you need to get started, including fabric, thread, a needle, and instructions.
How To Work With Cross Stitch Embroidery
To start stitching, simply thread your needle with the embroidery floss and tie a knot at the end. Then, insert the needle into the fabric where you want to start stitching. To make a basic cross stitch, make X stitches across your fabric, with the thread in the same direction throughout. You can either stitch in one direction or complete X stitches as you go along (see pic for ref).
Tips and Tricks for Cross Stitch Beginners
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your cross stitching:
- Use a hoop or frame to keep your fabric (aida) taunt while you stitch. This will help to prevent your stitches from becoming loose or distorted.
- Experiment with different types and weights of thread to create different effects. Thicker threads will create a bolder look, while thinner threads can be used for more delicate designs.
- 6 Stranded thread is the most popular floss to use with cross stitch. DMC and Itchy Stitchy stranded thread is made from 100% Egyptian cotton and the best quality ones to use.
- Cross stitch charts will include colour blocks and symbols to indicate where your stitches need to go. Also, the number of strands of thread you need to use for the project.
- Choose needles designed for cross stitch with blunt ends.
- The most popular aida count to use is 14 count. The higher the count, the smaller your cross stitches will be and more detail you can fit into an area.
With these tips in mind, you’re ready to get started with cross stitching! Just remember to take your time and enjoy the process.
Shop Cross Stitch Kits For Beginners Today
If you’re looking for some great cross stitch patterns to get you started, be sure to check out Itchy Stitchy’s selection of kits for beginners. We’ve got a wide range of designs to choose from, so you’re sure to find something that you’ll love.
Frequently Asked Questions
Aida cloth is a popular choice for cross stitching, as it has a tight weave that makes it easy to count stitches. 14 count is the most popular count as the holes are easy to see. As the counts go higher – 16, 18, 25 etc, the smaller the holes are and more detailed the work can be.
Specialty cross stitch needles that have blunt ends.
The best way to start cross stitching is to find the middle of the fabric and start stitching from there. This will help to make sure your design is centred. You can also use a kit that comes with everything you need to get started. Once you have the supplies, you will need to thread your needle and make a knot at the end of the thread.
The size needle you use will depend on the aida count you are using. 14 count -#22, 16 count – #26, 18 count – #26.